Monday, August 20, 2018

Just Because...

"Just Because…"

You have heard the expression; you may have used it. 
A parent answers, “No,” and the child asks, “Why not?” 
The response: “Just because….”

Perhaps there is not enough time to explain. Perhaps the little one cannot understand. Often times, however, there is nothing to explain; that’s just the way it is!

-----------------

In recent months I have noticed many, many comments in social media that end with “God is good.” The final comment always seems to follow good news, an unexpected blessing, or an expression of joy.

   “I have a new job!”… God is good.
   “Our daughter had a baby; we’re grandparents!” … God is good.
   “Our son graduated.” … God is good.
   “Dad is back home from the hospital.” … God is good.
   “The tests for cancer came back ‘negative.’” … God is good.
   “The long awaited spring is finally emerging.” … God is good.
   “The beauty of God’s creation is inspiring.” … God is good.

I really am glad to read all these expressions, but I wonder if we have slipped into a “God is good…because of…” kind of thinking. Is our perception of God’s goodness based only on favorable outcomes in life?

   “Up on the wrong side of the bed; bad day…but God is still good.”
   “The rain destroyed my crops…but God is still good.”
   "I 'totaled' my car...but God is still good."
   “Recent changes in the stock market hurt my retirement…but God is still good.”
   “The earthquake leveled the town; killed many…but God is still good.”
   “Mom’s best friend died last night…but God is still good.”
   “The cancer is back…but God is still good.”

There was a time when King David's life was in danger because of his strained relationship with his son Absolom. Was God good? How do you think King David spent his nights knowing that his son had literally risen up against him in pursuit of the throne of Israel?

   (A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.) 
   O LORD, how my foes increase! 
      There are many who attack me. 
   Many say about me, 
      "There is no help for him in God." 
   Selah. 

   But You, LORD, are a shield around me, 
      my glory, and the One who lifts my head. 
   I cry aloud to the LORD, 
      And He answered me from His holy mountain. 
   Selah. 

   I lie down and sleep; 
      I wake again because the LORD sustains me. 
   I am not afraid of the thousands of people 
      who have taken their stand against me on every side. 
   Riseup, LORD! Save me, my God! 
      You strike all my enemies on the cheek; 
      You break the teeth of the wicked. 
   Salvation belongs to the LORD; 
      May Your blessing be on your people! 
   Selah.
                                                  --Psalm 3 (CSB, emphasis added)

David knew, 'God is good' in times of wealth and peace and safety…and also in times of need, in times of trial, in times of danger.

God IS good…at all times...
Just Because….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome from all readers. Please be respectful toward others who post comments. Choose your words wisely.