Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Overheard, Overwhelmed and Obstinate: Responding to a Pandemic


I have found it somewhat amusing when I run errands these days. Because of the Corona-virus pandemic we (in Illinois) are required to wear a mask over our mouth when going into grocery stores and other public places. I’ve been using a bright green bandanna for my mask. I have it tied around my neck so that I can easily pull it up over my mouth and nose before entering a store. I imagine myself looking like a bank robber from the old west. I just need a cowboy hat, horse and spurs to be complete. (grin)

I have not been adversely affected as many have, and I’ve not felt threatened. I have concern regarding the virus, but no fear for my family or me.

Information I’ve gathered from the Internet and news outlets ranges from gripping reports of how bad things are to side-splitting humor. Official sources have sometimes been contradictory, and I’m not sure that I know how to interpret the facts. And, of course, there is an abundance of misinformation; some of it for shock value, some for humor, some just silly.

I’ve laughed at many quips, sayings and videos that have been posted. Yet, some postings have caused concern. (And for the record, the folks at the local church where I preach are NOT the source of my concern.)
  • “We s’posed to wear a mask in here too? They ain’t gonna make me wear a mask to the convenience store next week.”
  • “They are NOT going to tell me which way to push my cart through the grocery store.”
  • “Well, if I want to meet with friends and family, they can’t stop me.” (presumably a larger gathering)
  • “It’s a conspiracy!” (President/Republicans/Democrats/China.)
  • “It’s just a flu bug.”
  • “Wow, did you hear how bad things are in ‘Large City’?” Then minutes later… “I don’t think there's anything to worry about.”
  • “Let’s get things back to normal. People die all the time; don’t they know that!?”
I’ve been wearing my bandanna ‘mask’ and following all other restrictions and guidelines and posted instructions at stores. (And I smile really big at store workers because I know that a genuine smile can be seen in a person’s eyes; and they need a smile.) I’m not boasting; I just want to tell you my motivation for compliance:
Every person must be subject to the governing authorities, for no authority exists except by God’s permission. The existing authorities have been established by God, so that whoever resists the authorities opposes what God has established, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. 
--Romans 13:1–2 (ISV)
For the Lord’s sake submit yourselves to every human authority: whether to the king as supreme, or to governors who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to praise those who do right. For it is God’s will that by doing right you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people.
--1 Peter 2:13–15 (ISV) 
Observations:
1. Peter gave rationale for submitting to governing authorities: “For the Lord’s sake.” Then he wrote: “For it is God’s will that by doing right you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish people.” Prior to the passage above, he wrote, “Continue to live such upright lives among the gentiles that, when they slander you as practicers of evil, they may see your good actions and glorify God when he visits them.” So, one reason that God wants us to submit to governing authorities is because authority originates with Him. It is contradictory for His people to push against authority and boast an unsubmissive attitude. You actually make God look bad. Even outsiders (gentiles) can see that.

2. I don’t know what the ‘unmasked’ fellows at the convenience store thought about my 'mask,' whether they admired it or thought it was dumb. What I do know is that they had no basis for accusing me of anything. They could mock me, but not accuse me. The idea of accusing people always make me think of Job. You might remember how Satan came before God and accused Job. Yet, God defended Job. Do you think God would defend your attitude if Satan brought an accusation against you?

3. There are eyes watching that are very important to us: Our children and grandchildren. When Paul addressed fathers concerning their children, he wrote, “Bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.” What kind of lesson are you presenting when your children hear you grumble about governing authorities? Will they learn to honor God and His instruction (Romans 13 and 1 Peter 2)? What will they learn when you announce that you will intentionally and blatantly ignore published and/or posted guidelines and restrictions? What kind of mixed message are you sending when you say about governing bodies or store management, “They can’t tell me what to do!”?

4. When a person makes broad, sweeping statements based on personal perception, it is speculative and opinionated...and that is nothing other than the voice of pride. The Psalmist compares such arrogance and ignorance to an impulsive, unthinking beast (Psalm 73). Peter was equally strong when he wrote: "God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble." (1 Peter 5:5)

Honestly, many of us do not know what to think or believe about the Coronavirus pandemic. We just don't know all the facts. But that’s ok. As Christians our response to God transcends what we know or believe about our current circumstances. Whether in a pandemic or not; whether the governing authorities are right or justified or not, our response is to be based on what we know and believe about God and His word; not what we think about the world around us.

It is your attitude that ultimately defines your speech and your actions, so...
  • Your children and grandchildren are watching you; teach well.
  • Outsiders are watching you; live for the Lord’s sake.
  • Satan is watching and God is watching; leave no room for accusations.

Mark Stinnett,
May 18, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome from all readers. Please be respectful toward others who post comments. Choose your words wisely.