Monday, April 8, 2019

Possessing Joy

A joyful heart is good medicine,
But a broken spirit dries up the bones.

--Proverbs 17:22
Some folks try to find joy as if it is something obtained and then put into the heart. The reality is that ‘joy’ is not something received from an external source. A motivational speaker cannot give you joy. Circumstances do not produce joy.

Solomon describes joy as something that resides in the heart. As ‘good medicine’ it has an affect on circumstances, not the other way around. Joy transcends trials, bad circumstances, lost opportunities, negative people, confusion, and uncertainties.

So, the real question is, how do I obtain this kind of joy?

Read the words of King David in Psalm 13. Look for the reality of his distress. Take note of his circumstances. Most of all, look at the strength of his joy and its source.
Psalms 13
How long, O LORD?
   Will You forget me forever?
   How long will You hide Your face from me?
How long shall I take counsel in my soul,
   Having sorrow in my heart all the day?
   How long will my enemy be exalted over me?
Consider and answer me, O LORD my God;
   Enlighten my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death,
And my enemy will say, "I have overcome him,"
   And my adversaries will rejoice when I am shaken.
But I have trusted in Your lovingkindness;
   My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation.
I will sing to the LORD,
   Because He has dealt bountifully with me.
The joyful heart of King David was rooted in his trust in God’s lovingkindness and salvation. His knowledge of God brought about confidence even when his personal circumstances were difficult.

When we try to generate joy by changing our circumstances or by mankind ourselves act joyful, we know intuitively that we do not possess real joy. That kind of joy cannot be sustained without repetitious doses, just like medication that only treats symptoms.

Do you ever act joyful just so people will think you have joy in your life? If so, how long can you keep up the act?
Do you find joy in buying things? If so, how much can you afford? You know you'll have to keep buying, buying, buying!
Is joy found in a hobby or activity? What will happen when you can no longer engage in that activity? Or, when you lose interest?

Manufactured joy is nothing more than an illusion; actually a distraction from reality. In contrast, joy based on the knowledge of the reality of God's love and salvation is real joy and is sustained by faith in the reality of our everlasting God.

Do not fall for illusions. And, how can you identify the illusions? As one person described, “It is like a hot shower. It feels good as long as you are in it, but you cool off quickly as soon as you step out."

A person cannot simply act joyful and expect joy to develop. Joy is not produced by gimmicks and tricks or by a forced change of attitude. Joy is ultimately a result of faith, a result of the Spirit of God.

Joy is found in one’s confidence in God's steadfast love, in His salvation and in His promised blessings.
Anything else is illusion.


Mark Stinnett

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome from all readers. Please be respectful toward others who post comments. Choose your words wisely.