Monday, April 29, 2019

Do You Practice Ritual or Reality?


Some time ago I caught a few moments of a televised 9/11 observance. A number of high level politicians attended to support the event. Some of the politicians were hypocritical. I say that because their publicized political stances and past records revealed their hatred of America. Their 9/11 ‘observance’ seemed to be little more than an obligatory outward ritual to pacify citizens who really did love their country. 

Before our nation’s flag they stood tall with somber, dignified faces giving patriotic speeches, exuberantly waving flags. Yet they had shown contempt for the constitution and the ideals of our forefathers, so, in reality, contempt for the flag. 

That reminded me of something I had read a while back about ancient Rome and her leaders. Rome once had a rich religious past but, by the time of Christ, only a hollow shell of religion remained. Historians tell us that the leaders of Rome believed that religion was good for society though they had no religious convictions themselves. They knew that the ‘gods’ were no gods at all. They only pretended to believe because the people still believed. Over time, some leaders realized that if Rome controlled religion, they could control the people. So, their involvement in religion was mere hypocritical showmanship. They believed in nothing but themselves, yet they went through the motions of religious ritual because it was ‘PC’ (politically correct). 

I felt smug in my reflections on the hypocritical leaders of ancient Rome and the political leaders of modern America. Then it struck me! What did I do last Sunday? 

How did God view my worship to Him? 

Is it possible that I had gone to a place of worship and merely sat through a religious ritual without really worshiping with my mind and heart? If my religion is little more than hollow ritual, am I not like those who participated in the solemn observance of a special day for America, yet who really hate America? If I simply go to a place of worship, sit among other worshipers, yet only go through the motions of worship, am I not like the hypocritical leaders of ancient Rome? 

Some of the rulers of ancient Rome thought that as long as they catered to the whims of the people they could do as they pleased. Were they really religious? 

Some of the rulers of America seem to think that as long as they look patriotic on Patriot Day (9/11) then they can do as they please. Are they really patriotic? 

Some who claim to be Christian act as if a Sunday communion service and motions of worship ritual will be satisfactory and allow them to do as they please the rest of the week. In reality, they are already doing as they please all week, even in their church ritual. However, God never wanted people to merely ‘go to church.’ His desire is for a heart that is deeply devoted to Him all day, every day. 

How can I know that God accepts my Sunday worship and my Monday-Saturday life? 

He has already revealed His expectations in His word. The only question is whether I wish to do as I please (and call it worship), or do as He pleases. 

Religious ritual is easy; you sit. True worship, on the other hand, is difficult; there are so many distractions. Yet, no distraction is more destructive than the deception of self-approval. Are your mind and heart engaged? Are you devoted every day??? 
“The true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers. God is spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.” 
—John 4:23–24 (NASB95)
I am rethinking my worship. What about you?

Mark Stinnett

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome from all readers. Please be respectful toward others who post comments. Choose your words wisely.