Monday, February 4, 2019

What If I'm Wrong?


What if I’ve gotten it wrong?

Have you ever asked yourself that question? It is a question that might follow an important decision at your place of work. It might take a slightly different form when a person has second thoughts about his college choice, career choice, or even his/her choice of a mate.

Have you ever asked yourself this question in reference to your religious beliefs? What if I’m wrong?

I’m not promoting doubt. I do not want to lead you to question your faith. But you might also consider whether you have it all figured out completely and absolutely.

There are many passages that I think I understand, but I am constantly going back to refine my understanding. I recognize that I can be wrong, even when I have been strongly convinced in the past. I probe the scriptures carefully to see if I’ve missed something.

I have had religious conversations with believers who do not agree with me doctrinally. I have had religious conversations with people who have religious beliefs, but do not accept the Bible as I do. I have conversed with a couple of atheists about God and religion.

I have found these people to be intelligent individuals with good intentions and deep convictions. They often present compelling thoughts about life, and death, and the world we live in. What if I’ve gotten some things wrong!?

Two passages help keep my feet on the ground:

There is a way which seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death.
—Proverbs 14:12
I recognize there are many influences that can affect my thinking and my decisions. I recognize that I am ignorant of many things. (Ignorance means that I just don’t know, not that I’m stupid.) My way (my thinking) seems right, because I know only what I know. My patterns of thought and my value system are what I use to make decisions. For that reason, I really need help. God’s word is where I turn. He sees far more than and far beyond what I can see.
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.
—2 Timothy 3:16-17
This passage tells me that turning to God’s word makes sense. It is trustworthy and it gives me exactly what I need to get along in this life and prepare for life with God after this life.

I find additional encouragement when I read about the man Job. He experienced sudden hardship and misery. He had pressing questions about life and his circumstances. Yet, in the end, he received no explanation, no answers to his questions. Rather, God presented to Job His divine power and holiness as Creator. God basically told Job, “I am your Creator. Knowing that is enough.” Job bowed.

Finally, I find assurance in knowing that God is in the transformation business. That means that I am in a constant state of change, becoming more and more what God wants me to be. (2 Corinthians 3:18) Only God can say, “I Am.”

“Am I wrong?” is a question I never take lightly. It is sobering and it reminds me to be patient with others as they are being transformed by God. Still, it is important to strive to be right.

Now...go back to the beginning and read this as if you wrote it; as if 'you' are the one writing “I.” We both need this challenging encouragement.

Mark Stinnett

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome from all readers. Please be respectful toward others who post comments. Choose your words wisely.