Monday, February 18, 2019

What DID Jesus Do?


A number of years we saw what seemed to be a fad: WWJD bracelets, stickers, buttons, etc. I think it was more than a fad; it is still talked about today. Regardless, the acronym stood for a very valuable and sobering question: What Would Jesus Do?

The idea was simple. Before deciding, speaking, or acting, ask yourself the simple question: What would Jesus do?
  • Would He go where you were about to go?
  • Would He say what you were about to say?
  • Would He do what you were about to do?
How would He think, decide, evaluate???

If you could figure out what Jesus would do, then you had your answer on where to go, what to say, what to do. If you could determine the thinking and actions of Jesus and apply it to your choices and situations, then you could have confidence in your conclusions.

But what if you were not really sure what Jesus would do?

The reason I ask stems from a curious experience I had. Accompanying a good friend on one occasion our conversation turned toward an area in which he needed to make a decision. His quick response was something like, “WWJD, I think Jesus would approve.”
His response was trite and playful. I even remember a little chuckle as he gave himself approval.

That’s what I saw; he had given himself approval of something he wanted to do. Without serious reflection on Jesus, he used Jesus as a kind of prop to approve his desire. In reality he had answered a different question: How do I think Jesus would think?

What is the point of all this?

The question “What would Jesus do” has substance ONLY IF the answer is based on what Jesus actually did and what Jesus actually taught. A person might think that Jesus would do or approve something. However, if their thinking is not tested by what Jesus actually did and taught, it is as subjective as asking: “What do I think I should do?”

True followers of Jesus must approach discipleship with a keen eye on what Jesus actually did.
“...So that the world may know that I love the Father, I do exactly as the Father commanded Me.” 
—John 14:31
“Therefore Jesus answered and was saying to them, ‘Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner.’” 
—John 5:19
“For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak. I know that His commandment is eternal life; therefore the things I speak, I speak just as the Father has told me.” 
—John 12:49-50
Jesus, without fail, submitted to the will of God the Father. He did not evaluate things on the basis of what He thought God wanted Him to do, He did exactly as the Father instructed.

In our Christian walk we must guard against personal subjective thinking and desires as guides masked by religious jargon. Rather, we must give careful consideration to what Jesus actually did; what Jesus actually said.

May we resolve to do exactly the Father’s will. 
That’s what Jesus did.

Mark Stinnett

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome from all readers. Please be respectful toward others who post comments. Choose your words wisely.