Monday, April 17, 2023

Who Will You Call?

With such a robust language as English, we often mask our problems with synonyms. For example: “I’m not worried; I’m just a little anxious.” Or, “I’m not anxious; I’m concerned.”

We really do understand; changing terminology does not remove anxiety. Change the word to worry or concern, and the anxiety remains.

I wonder why many Christians like to dodge the word anxiety. Perhaps we do not want to admit our weakness choice.

Jesus taught: “No one can serve two masters.” Then He said, “For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life….” Anxiety occurs when we put anything else above God.

Do you remember these teachings?
Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you.
—1 Peter 5:6–7 (NASB95)
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanks-giving let your requests be made known to God. 
—Philippians 4:6 (NASB95)
It is easy to read these passages and think, “I am not supposed to have anxiety. Worry is a bad thing.” Then we either change the word and ignore our anxiety, or we feel guilt because the anxiety is real. So, let’s deal with reality.

Life is full of uncertainty, which causes anxiety.

At the heart of anxiety is fear of the unknown. How will I survive in life? Will I have enough money to do this or that? What if I make a bad decision? How will I deal with the long-term effects of my injury? The question is not whether we will experience uncertainties, rather, what will we do when uncertainties arise?

When the washing machine fails, we turn to a repairman. Storm damage, turn to an insurance agent. Injury, turn to a physician. But if we do not know where to turn, then what...??

I don’t have a deep understanding of the insurance industry or the medical field. Yet, I trust professionals to tell me what to do. When I turn to God for life’s uncertainties, it is no different. I may not understand God, but I can trust that He has already told me what to do. (Scripture.)

When King David was pursued by his enemies he wrote that he “lay down and slept.” He had no worry. Then he revealed his secret. “I awoke, for the Lord sustains me.” (Psalms 3:5) What was his great uncertainty? He did not know whether he would live through the night, and he could do nothing about it. He was able to sleep because he had placed his concern for his life into God’s hands. When he awoke, he knew that God had sustained him. Since he could not control the forces against him while he slept, he trusted God for that.

When uncertainties arise, what do we do?
  • Address the things you can control, and...
  • Turn to God. Quit looking at possessions.
  • Humble yourself. Pride is self-centered. Humility is God-centered. You must stop dwelling on yourself and things that you cannot control. Lower yourself in subjection to God.
  • Pray. Prayer is your avenue of communication to God. He is available 24/7/365. He listens to your concerns (worries and anxieties). He cares. So, He acts.

Put your life in the hands of the One who created life. You may not know the outcome until morning comes. So...just wait. And if you wake up in Paradise...no worries there.

Mark Stinnett
April 16, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome from all readers. Please be respectful toward others who post comments. Choose your words wisely.