Monday, February 3, 2020

I Can...and I Will!













I saw an ad for a soft drink; I think the company has a new campaign slogan: “Because I can.” I’m sure it will be successful because it taps into the general mindset of America. Among other things, “I am going to drink this soft drink...because I can.”

I suppose that’s fine for a marketing campaign, or as positive motivation for success or overcoming obstacles in one’s life. But do you think it is a healthy attitude for a Christian?

It is the kind of attitude that says, “I am doing or saying [something] because I can…”

  • ...And you can’t tell me I can’t.
  • ...And you can’t stop me.
  • ...I have the right/freedom/liberty!
  • ...I don’t need any help.
  • ...I am self sufficient.

Someone might read this and take issue thinking there is a positive side to “I can.” It expresses a person’s will power in overcoming obstacles. Yes, I understand and can appreciate that.

However, you might have heard of the Old Testament prophet Balaam. He had an ‘I can’ attitude when he came up to an obstacle in the road. Oddly, the obstacle was an angel sent from God. Balaam was acting foolishly and had not listened to God. The point is that God can put an obstacle in our way for our own good.

In the New Testament there are several ‘I can’ passages. (The count varies by translation.) Many of the ‘I can’ passages are actually ‘I may.’ The ‘I may’ passages are more about permission or authority, while the ‘I can’ passages are about ability or strength.

I was a little surprised to find almost as many ‘I cannot’ passages as ‘I can’ passages. For example, Jesus said, “I can do nothing on my own initiative” (John 5:30). He expressed His focus on God’s will.

Just before He was arrested and crucified, Jesus prayed to God and basically asked if there was another way. He said to God, “If this cannot pass away unless I drink it, Your will be done” (Matthew 26:42).

Perhaps the most well-known ‘I can’ verse for Christians is found in Philippians 4:13, which says:

I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
To be clear, this verse has nothing to do with soft drink marketing, American liberties, Christian liberties or individual willpower.

Do you know why the Apostle Paul wrote it?

Prompted by the concern of the Christians in Philippi, he had just made a statement about his physical welfare. They had been generous in sending aid. He was happy that they were helping, not because he needed it, but “for the profit which increases to your account.” In other words, he knew that it pleased God and as a result was more for their benefit than his.

So, what did he say about himself?

He said that he had learned how to get along in poverty and in prosperity. He had learned the secret of going hungry and being full, of suffering need and having abundance.

What was his secret? What had he learned?
Answer: To Be Content; not ‘how’ to be content, but simply, to be content.

“I can do all things through Him who strengthens me” is about contentment, not success or willpower!

Paul’s laser-focused attention was on the will of God. 

What about you???

Have you adopted a popular attitude of our society or are you focused on the will of God?

Mark Stinnett
February 2, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome from all readers. Please be respectful toward others who post comments. Choose your words wisely.