Monday, January 13, 2020

Should I Be Concerned with the Effects of Politics on the Church?


What do you think about current political issues and the state of the Union?

Are you concerned? 

Should you be concerned?

Browsing through Facebook entries I came across a friend’s comment on a current burning political issue. I seldom engage in political banter, but I was interested in my friend’s point of view—He’s a really smart guy. I read many of his friends’ comments (and was reminded of why I seldom engage in political banter). A reoccurring thought in the comments caught my attention and I think it is important for all of us to think about. 

There was a real concern among several over the way the 
current and past presidential administrations affected Christianity. They commented about personal behavior, political behavior, policies and appointments. 

Three thoughts came to my mind that helped me to address this issue biblically…

First, Luke recorded several ‘progress reports’ on the advancement of Christianity in the Book of Acts. The church really started off with a bang (Acts 2). Shortly after, two prominent apostles, Peter and John, were arrested and subsequently reprimanded by the highest Jewish court for preaching the gospel. They went on preaching and the church grew. Then two deceitful Christians were struck dead for lying to the Holy Spirit. That resulted in fear and awe, yet the church grew. Then all the apostles were arrested and beaten for preaching. They rejoiced because they had suffered for Christ and they continued preaching and the church grew.

Next, there was an internal issue in the church. It was dealt with harmoniously and the church grew. Then a prominent preacher was stoned to death, and then a harsh persecution against Christians broke out...and the church grew.

Throughout the Book of Acts we can read of opposition to and persecution against the church of God...and continued growth. Growth was not dependent on the political climate of the day; not at the local level, national level, or empire level.

Second, You may recall names like Herod Antipas and Agrippa; or Caligula, Claudius, Nero and Vespasian. These were the rulers in Judea and in Rome when the events in Acts occurred. These were not Christian men nor were they sympathetic to Christianity. They did nothing intentionally to benefit Christianity, quite the contrary. Yet, the church grew.

Paul wrote to the Christians in Rome and instructed them
“to be in subjection to the governing authorities” (Romans 13:1-7). Peter encouraged Christians in a letter, “Honor the king” (1 Peter 2:13-17). When Paul and Peter wrote, Nero was ‘king’!

Third, in Luke 13 we read that Jesus once had an encounter with a group of people who were concerned with the ‘headline news’ of their day. They...

...reported to Him about the Galileans whose blood Pilate had mixed with their sacrifices. And Jesus said to them, "Do you suppose that these Galileans were greater sinners than all other Galileans because they suffered this fate? I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish."
The minds of the people were focused on the wrong things and Jesus literally told them that they needed to change their thinking (repent).

Jesus told his followers that the world will know that we are his disciples based on our love for one another...not our politics. That tells me that we need to focus our hearts on the needs of our fellow Christians, first at home, then elsewhere.

In addition, instead of focusing on hypocritical politicians, we should conduct a self-evaluation:

  • Am I the husband/wife God expects me to be?
  • Am I the parent God expects me to be?
  • Do I give honor and respect to my parents (regardless of my age, or theirs)?
  • What definition of ’Christian’ does my behavior write for my coworkers?
  • Does God think I am generous or selfish with my money/possessions?

We, not politicians, are salt and light in the world. 
We have a greater affect on the church than any politician.

How are your choices, your behavior, and your life example affecting the growth of the church today???

Mark Stinnett
January 12, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome from all readers. Please be respectful toward others who post comments. Choose your words wisely.