Monday, September 10, 2018

I Have To...Do You?


My son, do not forget my teaching,
But let your heart keep my commandments.
--Proverbs 3:1
For some people religion is a drudgery. Morality is a duty. Living right is a challenge. ‘Church’ is a weekend requirement.As a result, Christianity is often perceived to be composed of confusing requirements, and do’s and don’t’s that do not even make sense. Involvement in religion and religious activities ends up being something I “have to” do:
  • “I have to go to church.”
  • “I have to put money in the offering plate.”
  • "I have to attend this church function."
  • “I have to do good deeds.”
  • “I have to be moral (At least when parents or the preacher are around).”
  • “I have to be obedient.”

It is unfortunate that many preachers and teachers have presented the ‘Old Law’ in the Bible (The Law of Moses) as a burdensome ‘duty-driven’ law. In other words, it is presented as if, it was the duty of the ancient Israelites to robotically obey the rules of behavior to please God (though a difficult burdensome task):
  • Observe the feasts,
  • Observe the requirements of animal sacrifices,
  • Observe the Sabbath,
  • Observe the tithe requirement,
  • Observe the food requirements, etc.

It is as if God had handed Israel a legal checklist. Yet, man is not a programmable machine. 

Did God expect Israel to obey the laws and ordinances and precepts and commands in the Law of Moses? Yes! Of course; but not merely out of a sense of duty. His desire from the beginning has been for mankind to respond to him from the heart. He desired His people to intend to please Him, adopt His will as their will, invest emotionally and intellectually.

The Law of Moses revealed the character of God. When God’s people honored Him by keeping the Law they would be like Him and also learn something about His divine nature.

Mechanical worship or robotic obedience is far from God’s desire. In fact, a duty-driven approach to God will invalidate one's offering making it meaningless and unacceptable to God.

The wise Solomon captured the essence of God’s desire as he instructed his son to keep the commandments, not through mere external behavior, but from the heart.
Today, God wants those who have a fellowship relationship with Him (Christians) to obey His instruction because they understand something about Him and His character; because they love Him and know His love and compassion for them; because they realize the true benefit of His instruction; because they naturally want to please Him...because He is Creator.

So, I am obedient to his instruction...
...Not because “I have to”...an external response of duty,
...Not necessarily because "I want to"...a response of love and devotion,
...But ideally because “I have to”...a changed nature...it's simply who I am.
But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit. 
--2 Corinthians 3:18
Mark Stinnett

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome from all readers. Please be respectful toward others who post comments. Choose your words wisely.