Monday, February 27, 2017

You Just Have to 'Stop'

No, I am not waxing philosophical; but have you ever thought about thinking? (Perhaps I could get you to consider it for just a moment.)

Have you ever been talking with someone and something they said forces a pause in the conversation, “I’ll have to think about that”?

People think about things in different ways. Some look up at the sky and tap or rub their chin and just think, think, think. Others look down at the ground and scratch their head and think, think, think. Some might prefer to talk it out; brainstorming ideas (with another person or even a wall). Others like a visual approach using pencil and paper, whiteboard and marker, or something similar. Whatever the case, two things are common to all: Pause...and ideas turning over and over in the mind.

James wrote, “Consider it all joy when you face various trials…” (James 1:2)
I think he really meant for people to STOP...and then think about what he was writing.

When Jesus said, “Look at the birds of the air… and observe the lilies of the field…” (Matthew 6:24, 26) I think he really meant for people to STOP...and take time to look and observe and THINK about the birds; to STOP...and take time to look and observe and THINK about the flowers.

Paul wrote:

   Finally, brethren, whatever is true,
      whatever is honorable,
      whatever is right,
      whatever is pure,
      whatever is lovely,
      whatever is of good repute,
   if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise,
   dwell on these things.
                                                 --Philippians 4:8

What do you think Paul expected his readers to do???

Do you know why God's word is difficult to understand for some people? Do you know why some folks never find peace or comfort or help from God's word even though they read and read and read?
They never...stop! They never...think.

I know it sounds silly, but I'll leave you extra room at the end of this blog to give you 'extra time' to...stop...and think about the things Paul wrote...
stop...
and think...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Seriously...you need to STOP…
And...think…

2 comments:

  1. This can be true for me. I am so busy reading this post so I can go to the next one and find out what people are doing or saying, I don't take the time to think about what I am reading. I like to iron for the simple reason it is an automatic action and my mind can roam far and wide. (No, I will not iron your shirts, Mark.) Thanks for giving me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome from all readers. Please be respectful toward others who post comments. Choose your words wisely.